Support and Advice about Burglary
We understand how upsetting and frightening being burgled can
be. Most burglars pick houses that look empty or insecure.
There are a number of things you can do to help keep your home
- Lock your windows and doors when you go out or go to bed.
- Use your house alarm if you've got one. Light timer switches are a good idea too.
- Make sure you lock your UPVC door properly if you have one - remember to lift the handle, turn the key and then remove it.
- Keep your valuables out of sight, away from your windows and doors:e.g. car keys, laptops, mobile phones, purse/ wallet.
- Lock your shed and/ or garage if you have one.
- Fit a letterbox restrictor to your front door.
- Use a UV pen to mark your valuable items with your postcode and house number. This will help us to return these items to you, should they ever be stolen and later found.
How to report it?
Call 101 to report a burglary or dial 999 in an emergency, for example, if the burglar is still in your home.
When reporting a burglary to us, the operator will let you know when to expect a visit from an officer.