Mobile police station at Liverpool Women's to reassure staff and public
Main article content
Merseyside Police will maintain a mobile police station at Liverpool Women’s Hospital to reassure staff and the public as the examination of the scene ends following the incident on Sunday 14 November.
Investigators from Counter Terrorism Police North West (CTPNW) have conducted a painstaking examination of the scene, assisted by colleagues from Merseyside Police who have staffed the cordon 24 hours a day since the incident.
CTPNW have now recovered all necessary evidence for further examination and have closed the cordon.
A mobile police station will be on the site from today (Monday 22 November), staffed by officers from Merseyside Police.
The scene at Sutcliffe Street, Kensington has also been closed, while searches by Counter Terrorism Police North West remain ongoing at Rutland Avenue in Sefton Park.
We will continue to carry out high visibility patrols in all those areas affected with Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service, community engagement officers from the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner and representatives of the Local Authority.
Assistant Chief Constable Jon Roy said: “Under very difficult circumstances the work of everyone at Liverpool Women’s Hospital in the past week has been remarkable.
“While patients were diverted to other hospitals in Merseyside in the immediate aftermath of the incident, by Sunday evening the hospital’s business continuity plans were up and running and the staff have valiantly continued providing their crucial service to the people of Merseyside and beyond.
“Staff and visitors have shown incredible patience and understanding while this work was ongoing and while alternative access was arranged to allow the hospital’s wonderful work to continue.
“While those alternative arrangements will continue to allow for repair work to be carried out at the front of the hospital, the closure of the scene and the removal of the cordon will mark an important step in its return to normality.
“We will maintain a policing presence on the site to reassure staff and visitors, and in the coming days a mobile police station will be situated there. Even when it has left, we will conduct visits to the hospital and provide high visibility patrols in the surrounding area to ensure staff, visitors and residents are reassured.
“I would encourage anyone on the site with any concerns whatsoever to speak to the officers who will be staffing the mobile unit, and they will be only too happy to speak to you and answer your questions.”
“This has been a challenging week for all involved, but thanks to the co-operation and togetherness shown by our communities and partners, it is a challenge that the people of Merseyside have stepped up to and I know that we will continue to support each other in the weeks and months ahead.”
Lynn Greenhalgh, Medical Director at Liverpool Women’s said: “We realise that the last week or so has been a very challenging time for everyone associated with Liverpool Women’s.
"With the support of Merseyside Police and other agencies we have been able to respond to the impact of recent events and gradually start to plan for a return to a normal Liverpool Women’s.
"The removal of the cordon and the introduction of the Mobile Police Station is the next step as part of this process. The safety and reassurance of our staff, patients and public is our number one priority at this time and we will continue to focus on this in the period ahead as we slowly return to normal.”
Anyone who has any information that could assist the investigation should contact Counter Terrorism Police North West on 0161 856 1027 quoting Liverpool Women's Hospital incident.
Details can be passed to the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.